Davorka Tovilo is a Croatian television personality, actress and occasional fashion model living in Munich, Germany. She is mostly known for wearing transparent cothing at film premieres and similar events. She also had several appearances in German television.
Clothing and wardrobe malfunctions
Davorka Tovilo became known to a greater public when she appeared at the European film premiere of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King on December 10, 2003, wearing a dress that became transparent under the flashlights of the photographers. She was quoted saying that she was shocked when she saw her pictures in the tabloids afterwards. This allegedly unintended wardrobe malfunction led to her nickname "Miss Transparent" — a name which should become her trademark. Her advisor Peter von Schall-Riaucour recognised that this kind of transparency at public events was a niche and started promoting Tovilo on a voluntary basis. From now on, she wore transparent and daring clothes at nearly every public occasion.
Although her provoking style was received ambiguously by many newspapers and sometimes even called "cheap" (German comedian Oliver Pocher humorously suspected that her transparent red dress at the 2008 German Film Ball came from the catalogue of German wholesale supplier Orion), Tovilo's outfits mostly consist of haute couture designs from renowned labels and manufacturers. The red dress in question (see infobox picture) was a bespoke unique design by Lorand Lajos. At other occasions, she wore a dress with transparent top by Talbot Runhof, a dress with a transparent lace top from the 2007 collection of Daniel Fendler and a white blouse by Dolce & Gabbana.
The German TV station ProSieben even claimed that Tovilo's transparent clothing was a new fashion style and named it nude look. A feature on her and her clothes was aired on May 31, 2006, in the show taff.
Apart from her mostly transparent outfits, Tovilo also often showed deep cleavage and experimented with other styles to promote her physical assets.
- On September 3, 2008, she modelled for a fashion show of the Bavarian traditional clothing manufacturer Angermaier on behalf of the Munich Oktoberfest. Unlike the other models, she was only wearing panties with the rest of the clothes painted on her body.
- For the 2009 German Film Ball which took place on January 17, Tovilo's designer created a special skin-tight latex dress for her. The piece was not received very positively by the press, but she could be sure of the media's attention.
Due to the revealing nature of most of Tovilo's clothing, her nipples or full breasts are often exposed to the public.
- On July 4, 2005, Tovilo inadvertently exposed her nipple when she raised her arm at the film premiere of Antikörper in Berlin, Germany.
- On October 3, 2006, the Dolce & Gabbana blouse she was wearing at the premiere of Deutschland - ein Sommermärchen was so wide open that her areolas were visible nearly all the time.
- On March 29, 2007, Tovilo modelled for German fashion designer Marcel Ostertag at the 10 Years FashionTV event in Munich, wearing a revealing outfit that mostly stayed in place during the catwalk, but exposed her breast when she came out with Ostertag after the show.
Television and cinema
Generally, the media found it difficult to define Tovilo's status or profession. She became a celebrity without being an actress or being married to a rich husband.
After participating in the life-coaching reality TV show Lebe dein Leben (Live your life), Tovilo decided to take part in another reality show, Der Container Exklusiv — an adaption of the Big Brother concept, but aired 24 hours per day on a private pay TV channel of German TV station Premiere. Although she was wearing transparent tops almost during the whole show and did not hide her breasts to the viewers when taking a shower, Tovilo would not let others into the bathroom while she was preparing for the day. On May 10, 2006, she left the show voluntarily after 30 days.
Her wish to become more than just a "red carpet girl" came true when she played a little role in the 2006 television film Zwei zum Fressen gern. In 2008 she had a role in War, Inc., her first movie. In an interview before the premiere, her advisor Peter von Schall-Riaucour commented: "That's why the film's got to be released. Then we can write 'actress'."
FilmographyTitle Released Company Notes War, Inc. 2008 New Crime Productions as "German woman"
IMDb entry Zwei zum Fressen gern 2006 Dreamtool Entertainment as "sexy bathing beauty"
IMDb entry Der Container Exklusiv February 27, 2006 Endemol Reality TV show Lebe dein Leben! April 6, 2006 (part 1)
April 7, 2006 (part 2) ProSieben as herself
(Reality TV show)
Personal lifeDavorka Tovilo in bikini with bloody hands during the PETA protest
Davorka Tovilo was born in Croatia and has one brother. Her father left the country in order to work in Germany, and at the age of 12, Tovilo followed him together with her brother and her mother. She first lived in Frankfurt before she finally settled in Munich. She has studied political and communication sciences and speaks Croatian, German, English and Italian.
After her first appearance in the transparent dress at the Lord of the Rings premiere, she received many phone calls and had to face the disapproval of her family. She described the process as catharsis, freeing her from imposed catholic concepts.
Since 2008, she works for the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) organisation. On February 5, 2008, she took part in a protest against Spanish bullfighting in front of the Spanish embassy in Berlin. At 9 degrees Celsius, she was only wearing a bikini — unlike other female participants who also showed their breasts.
In 2009, Tovilo was studying at the Pop Academy in Munich and taking singing lessons. In an interview she said that she was not sure yet if she wanted to become an actress, a TV presenter or a singer, but that she wanted to continue attending red carpet events in any case.
- ↑ 1.01.11.21.31.41.5 Interview: Wagner, Peter (2008-01-27). Von Beruf i-Tüpfelchen. Ein Gespräch mit Davorka über ihr Dasein als Starlet (German). jetzt.de. Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved on 2008-09-08. (Google translation)
- ↑ 2.02.12.22.32.42.5Inofficial Big Brother profile (German). bbfun.de. Retrieved on 2008-09-09. (Google translation)
- ↑ 3.03.13.23.3 Krahe, Dialika (2009-02-23). Das Projekt Davorka (German). Der Spiegel. Retrieved on 2009-03-30. (Google translation)
- ↑ Serientäterin Davorka Tovilo - "Miss Transparent" meldet sich zurück (German). rp-online.de. Rheinische Post (2008-01-22). Retrieved on 2008-09-08. (Google translation)
- ↑ Das Transparente gab es vorher nicht (German). Münchner Merkur (2009-03-09). Retrieved on 2009-03-30. (Google translation)
- ↑ 6.06.16.2 Schmitz, Martin. People aus München: Davorka Tovilo (German). ganz-muenchen.de. Retrieved on 2008-09-08. (Google translation)
- ↑ Inline video on Schmitz, Martin. 35. Deutscher Filmball 2008 (German). ganz-muenchen.de. Retrieved on 2008-09-09. (Google translation)
- ↑ Schmitz, Martin. Noble Eröffnung in München-Schwabing: Osteria Tendarossa (German). ganz-muenchen.de. Retrieved on 2008-11-28. (Google translation)
- ↑ Schmitz, Martin. 34. Deutscher Filmball 2007 - Stars und Sternchen im Münchener Hotel Bayerischen Hof am 20.01.2007 (German). ganz-muenchen.de. Retrieved on 2008-11-28. (Google translation)
- ↑ Nude Look (German). ProSieben. Retrieved on 2008-09-09. (Google translation)
- ↑ Schmitz, Martin. Wiesn-Modenschau: der Angermaier Wiesn-Auftakt (German). ganz-muenchen.de. Retrieved on 2008-11-25. (Google translation)
- ↑ Koch, Jörg. Stylewatch Deutscher Filmball: Münchner Modesünden. Stern. Retrieved on 2009-03-30.
- ↑ Deutscher Filmball 2009 in München: Bond in Bayern (German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved on 2009-03-30. (Google translation)
- ↑ 14.014.1 Lampe, Knuth (2006-05-11). Diva Davorka: Jetzt rede ich! (German). Bild. Retrieved on 2008-09-09. (Google translation)
- ↑ Schmitz, Martin. 10 Jahre FashionTV: Marcel Ostertag Modenschau im P1 am 29.03.2007 (German). ganz-muenchen.de. Retrieved on 2009-03-30. (Google translation)
- ↑ 16.016.1LDL - Davorka - Teil 1 (German). ProSieben. Retrieved on 2008-09-09. (Google translation)
- ↑ LDL - Davorka - Teil 2 (German). ProSieben. Retrieved on 2008-09-09. (Google translation)
- ↑ Container-Diva Davorka macht sich unbeliebt (German). Bild (2006-04-20). Retrieved on 2008-09-09. (Google translation)
- ↑ 19.019.1 Interview: Pfauth, Sarina (2009-01-20). Sehe ich gut genug aus? (German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved on 2009-03-30. (Google translation)
- ↑ Schalz, Daniel (2008-02-06). Die Nackten und die Bullen (German). bz-online.de. B. Z.. Retrieved on 2008-09-09. (Google translation)